Division of Computer Science and Engineering
School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge LA 70803-4020
Phone: (225) 578-4340 Fax: (225) 578-1465
link to my CV
- Machine Learning and Data Mining, Data Clustering
- Applications of Machine Learning for Security
- Web Mining and Ontology Construction
- Fuzzy Logic and Fuzzy Systems
- Intelligent Information Retrieval and Interactive Systems
- Knowledge Representation, Logics in AI, Non-monotonic
Recent NSF Grant
From August 2003 to January 2010, Professor Chen was the
Co-Principal Investigator of a large NSF-funded project on the
profiling of terrorists and malicioius cyber transactions for
counter terrorism and crimes. For more detailed information about
this project and its publications, please browse the web
Selected Journal Publications
- Patrick McDowell, Brian
Bourgeois, Pamela J. McDowell, S.S. Iyengar and Jianhua Chen.
Positioning for Team Robot Navigation. To Appear: Autonomous Robots, 2006.
- S. Seiden, P. Chen, R. Lax,
J. Chen, G. Ding. New Bounds on Randomized Busing. Theoretical Computer Science,
332 (2005), 63-81.
- J. Chen, Y. Chen, W. Gao, B.
Zhang, A. Gider, S. Vuppala, D. Kraft, Fuzzy Clustering
and Intelligent Search for A Web-based Fabric Database. Book
Chapter in Computational
Web Intelligence - Intelligent Technology for Web Applications,
Y. Zhang, A. Kandel, T. Lin, Y. Yao Eds., World Scientific
Publishers, 2004, pp. 117-134.
- D. Kraft, M.J.
Martin-Bautista, J. Chen, and D. Sanchez, Rules
and Fuzzy Rules in Text: Concept, Extraction and Usage.
Special Issue of International
Journal of Approximate Reasoning, August 2003.
- S. N. Sanchez, E.
Triantaphyllou, J. Chen, W. Liao, An incremental
learning algorithm for constructing Boolean functions from
positive and negative examples, Journal of Computers and Operations Research,
29(2002), pp. 1677-1700.
- S. Kundu, J. Chen,
Learning Rules from Numerical Data by Combining Geometric and
Robotics and Autonomous
Systems, Elsevier, B.V.., 33 (2000), pp. 135-147.
- J. Chen, A Sound and Complete Proof Theory for the
Generalized Logic of Only Knowing, Journal of Experimental
and Theoretical AI,
10(1998), pp. 421-438.
- J. Chen, The Generalized Logic of Only Knowing That
Covers the Notion of Epistemic Specifications, Journal of
Logic and Computation, Vol. 7, No. 2, 1997, pp. 159-174.
- S. Kundu, J. Chen, A New Method of Circumscribing
Beliefs: the Propositional Case, Fundamenta Informatica,
Vol. 29, No. 4, 1997, pp. 383-390.
- S. Kundu, J. Chen, Fuzzy Logic or Lukasiewicz Logic:
A Clarification, Fuzzy Sets and Systems Vol. 95, 1998,
- R.R. Brooks, S.S. Iyengar, J. Chen, Automatic
Correlation and Calibration of Noisy Sensor Readings using Elite
Genetic Algorithms, Artificial Intelligence, 84(1-2),
July 1996, pp. 339-354.
- S. Kundu, J. Chen, A New Class of Theories for which
the Circumscription can be Obtained via Predicate Completion, Journal
of Experimental and Theoretical AI, 8(1996), pp. 191-205.
- J. Chen, S. Kundu, The Strong Semantics for Logic
Programs, Journal of Intelligent Information Systems,
5(1995), pp. 51-68.
- J. Chen, Relating Only Knowing to Minimal Knowledge
and Negation as Failure, Journal of Experimental and
Theoretical Artificial Intelligence, 6(1994), pp. 409-429.
- W. Wang, J. Chen, Learning by Discovering Problem
Solving Heuristics through Experience, IEEE Transactions on
Knowledge and Data Engineering, (4) Vol 3, 1991, pp.
Selected Conference Publications
- J.R. Punuru and J. Chen.
Automatic Acquisition of Concepts from Domain Texts. Proceedings of the IEEE Int.
Conf. on Granular Computing, Atlanta, GA, May 2006.
- R. Lax, G. Ding, P. Chen and
J. Chen. Approximating Pseudo-Boolean Functions
in Non-Uniform Domains.
Proceedings of International
Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI),
Scotland, August 2005.
- G. Ding, J. Chen, R. Lax, P.
Chen. Efficient Learning of Pseudo-Boolean Functions
from Limited Training Data.
Lecture Notes in Computer
Science, Vol. 3488(2005), Proceedings of International Symposium on
Methodologies for Intelligent Systems, Saratoga
Springs, NY, May 2005. pp. 323-331.
- L. Moscovich and J. Chen.
Learning Hidden Markov Models using the State distribution
Proceedings of Int. Conference
on Machine Learning and Applications (ICMLA),
Louisville, KY, Dec. 2004.
- J. Chen, J. Chen and G.P.
Kemp, Fuzzy Clustering and Decision Tree Learning for
Time-series Tidal Data
of FUZZ-IEEE2003, May 2003, St. Louis.
- J. Chen, Y. Chen, B. Zhang
and A. Gider, Fuzzy Linear Clustering for Fabric
Selection from Online Database,
Proceedings of NAFIPS-FLINT
2002 Int. Conference, New Orleans June 2002.
- J. Chen, Combining
Description Logic and Stratified Logic Programs in Knowledge
Proceedings of the 12th International Symposium on
Methodologies for Intelligent Systems (IMSIS'2000),
Charlotte, NC, October 2000.
- D. Kraft and J. Chen,
and Extending Fuzzy Clustering and Inference to Improve Text
Proceedings of Flexible Query Answering Systems (FQAS2000),
Warsaw, Poland, October 2000.
- J. Chen, A Class of
Stratified Programs in Autoepistemic Logic of Knowledge and
Belief, Proceedings of
the 11th International Symposium on Methodologies for
Intelligent Systems (IMSIS'99), Warsaw, Poland, June
- J. Chen, Embedding Prioritized Circumscription in Logic
Programs. Proceedings of 10th International Symposium on
Methodologies for Intelligent Systems,, October 1997.
- E. R. Mertooetomo, J. Chen, Character Recognition
with Fuzzy Features and Fuzzy Regions. Proceedings of North
Americal Fuzzy Info. Processing Society (NAFIPS) Conference,
- A. Mikulcic, J. Chen, Experiments on Application of
Fuzzy Clustering in Fuzzy System Design, Proceedings of
FUZZ'IEEE 1996, New Orleans, LA, September 1996.
- J. Chen, S. Kundu, Fuzzy Control System Design by
Fuzzy Clustering and Self-Organization, Proceedings of
NAFIPS'96 Conference, Berkeley, CA, June 1996.
- J. Chen, S. Kundu, A Sound and Complete Fuzzy Logic
System using Zadeh's Implication Operator, Proceedings of
the 9th Internation Symposium on Methodologies for Intelligent
Systems (ISMIS'96), Poland, June 1996, LNAI 1079, pp.
- N. Mada, J. Chen and S.K. MacGregor, ALAN: A
Multimedia Intelligent Tutoring System, Proceedings of the
4th Golden West International Conference on Intelligent
Systems, San Francisco, CA, June 1995.
- S. Kundu, J. Chen, Fuzzy Linear Invariant Clustering
with Applications in Fuzzy Control, Proceedings of
NAFIPS/IFIS/NASA-94 Conference, San Antonio, TX, December
- V. Goel, J. Chen, An Expert Network Approach to
Material Selection in Engineering Design, Proceedings of the
International Symposium on Integrating Knowledge and Neural
Heuristics, Pensacola, FL, May 1994, pp. 206-215.
- J. Chen, Inductive Learning of Stratified Logic
Programs via Non-monotonic Inference. Proceedings of the
1994 Florida Artificial Intelligence Research Symposium,
Pensacola, FL, May 1994, pp. 81-85.
- J. Chen, Application of Boolean Expression
Minimization to Learning via Hierarchical Generalizations, Proceedings
of the 1994 Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC'94),
Phoenix, AZ, March 1994, pp. 303-307.
- J. Chen, Minimal Knowledge + Negation as Failure =
Only Knowing (Sometimes), Proceedings of the 2nd
International Workshop on Logic Programming and Nonmonotonic
Reasoning, Portugal, June 1993, pp. 132-150.
- J. Chen, The Logic of Only Knowing as a Unified
Framework for Non-monotonic Reasoning, Proceedings of the
7th International Symposium on Methodologies for Intelligent
Systems (ISMIS'93), Norway, June 1993.
- J. Chen, A Refined Semantics for Disjunctive Logic
Programs, Proceedings of the European Conference on
Artificial Intelligence (ECAI'92)).
- W. C. Jung, B. Jones, J. Chen, Optimization of the
Decision Tree, Proceedings of the 3rd International
Conference on Tools for Artificial Intelligence, Nov.
- S. Kundu, J. Chen, Truth in Truth-maintenance, Proceedings
Symposium on Methodologies for Intelligent Systems,
(ISMIS'89), October 12-14, 1989, pp. 468-476.
- L. Xu, J. Chen, L. Yang, Solving the Plane Geometry
Problem by Learning, Proc. of 1st International Conference
on Computers and Applications, Beijing, China, 1984, pp.