Yejun Wu's Research Page
(The research projects are not well organized yet.)
Recent Research Projects
- An interdisciplinary topic map for understanding the impact of the Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill Incident, funded by
Gulf of Mexico Research Initiative (GRI) Competition Round II (PI), 2011-2013. Oil Spill Topic Map.
- Searching and understanding digital political cartoons, funded by Louisiana Board of Regents (PI), 2010
- Enriching the ERIC thesaurus, funded by LSU Summer Research Program, 2010
Earlier Research Projects
Classifying Attitude by Topic Aspect for English and Chinese Document Collections, University of Maryland, College Park, May 2008.
Digital Repository at UMD.
Journal Papers (Referred)
- Yejun Wu, 2017. Enriching a thesaurus as a better question-answering tool and information retrieval aid. Journal of Information Science.
- Yejun Wu, Amanda Lehman, and David Dunaway, 2015. Formative and summative evaluation of a large topic map as a self-regulated learning tool.
Knowledge Organization 42(6):386-397.
- Yejun Wu and Li Yang, 2015. Construction and evaluation of an oil spill semantic relation taxonomy for supporting knowledge discovery.
Knowledge Organization 42(4):222-231.
- Yejun Wu, 2013. Indexing historical political cartoons for retrieval. Knowledge Organization, 40 (5):283-294.
- Yejun Wu, David J. Dunaway, 2013. Creating a large topic map by integrating Wandora and Ontopia, Library Hi Tech, 31(1):64-75.
- Yejun Wu, 2013. A preliminary study on the curriculum overlap and gap between LIS education and intelligence education. Journal of Library and Information Science Education (JELIS) 54 (4): 270-285.
- Yejun Wu, 2013. Strengthening intelligence education with information-processing and knowledge-organization competencies. Journal of Strategic Security 6 (3):10-24. Available at: http://scholarcommons.usf.edu/jss/vol6/iss3/2/
- Ying Li, Rui Zhu, Lijun Zhu, and Yejun Wu, 2013. Research and development of a financial e-training system based on knowledge discovery
technology - from structured resource processing to trainee-oriented navigation. ICIC Express Letters Part B: Applications 4(4), 1007-1014.
(ICIC is a Japan-based International Journal on Innovative Computing, Information and Control).
Conference Papers (Refereed)
- Yejun Wu and Li Yang, 2017. A pilot study on comparing and extracting impact relations. 19th ICADL. November 13-15, 2017. Bangkok, Thailand.
In Lecture Notes in Computer Science book series (LNCS, vol. 10647), 142-149. Link.
- Yejun Wu and Rujiang Bai, 2017. An event relationship model for knowledge organization and visualization. NASKO. June 15-16, 2017. Champaign, Illinois.
- Yejun Wu and Li Yang, 2015. Developing a taxonomy of semantic relations in the oil spill domain for knowledge discovery.
The Fifth North American Symposium on Knowledge Organization (NASKO 2015), Los Angeles, CA. June 18-19, 2015. (best paper).
- Yejun Wu and Douglas Oard, 2013. English and Chinese bilingual topic aspect
classification: examining similarity measures, optimal LSA dimensions, and centroid correction of translated training examples.
Proceedings of the 2013 Annual Meeting of the Association of the American Society for Information Science & Technology (ASIS&T), Montreal,
Quebec, Canada, 1-6 November 2013.
- Yejun Wu, 2010. Enriching a thesaurus as a better retrieval aid. Proceedings of the 2010 Annual Meeting of the Association of the American Society for Information Science & Technology (ASIS&T),
December 22-27, 2010, Pittsburg, PA. (poster paper in pdf).
- Yejun Wu, 2010. Searching digital political cartoons. Proceedings of the 2010 IEEE International Conference
on Granular Computing, August 14-16, 2010, San Jose, California, USA. 541-545. PDF
- Yejun Wu and Douglas Oard, 2009. Beyond topicality: finding opinionated Chinese documents.
Proceedings of the 2009 Annual Meeting of the Association of the American Society for Information Science & Technology (ASIS&T),
November 6-11, 2009, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. (10 pages).
Paper in xml.
- Yejun Wu and Douglas Oard, 2008. Bilingual topic aspect classification with A few training examples.
Proceedings of 31st Annual International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval,
July 20-24, 2008, Singapore, 203-210. PDF.
- Wu, Yejun. 2013. Oil Spill Topic Map Data. The Gulf of Mexico Research Initiative. 28 November 2013.
- Robert B. Allen and Yejun Wu, 2005.
Metrics of the scope of a collection, Journal of the American Society for
Information Science and Technology, 56 (12), 2005, 1243-1249. (The copyright for the article has
been signed over to the publisher, so it is not posted here.)
Conference Papers (Refereed)
- Yejun Wu, Douglas Oard, and Ian Soboroff, 2006. An Exploratory Study of the
W3C Mailing List Test Collection for Retrieval of Emails with Pro/Con
Arguments. The Third Conference on Email and Anti-Spam,
July 27-28, 2006, Mountain View, California. Available at
www.ceas.cc/2006/26.pdf (10 pages).
- Yejun Wu, 2006. Retrieval of Opinions and Attitudes in Weblogs and Emails. ACM SIGIR 2006 Doctoral Consortium
paper. August 6-11, 2006, Seatle, Washington. (This was adapted from an earlier version of my dissertation proposal.
Discussed my proposal with Prof. Bruce Croft and Dr. Dave Hawking.)
- Yejun Wu and Douglas W. Oard, 2005. Indexing Emails and Email Threads for
Retrieval, Proceedings of 28th Proceedings of 28st Annual International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development
in Information Retrieval. August 15-19, 2005, Salvador, Brazil. 665-666.
Poster paper in pdf or
- Robert B. Allen, Yejun Wu, and Jun Luo, 2005.
Interactive Causal Schematics for Qualitative Scientific Explanations, In Edward A. Fox, Erich J. Neuhold,
Pimrumpai Premsmit, Vilas Wuwongse (Ed.) Digital Libraries: Implementing Strategies and Sharing Experiences:
Proceedings of 8th International Conference on Asian Digital Libraries (ICADL 2005), December 12-15, 2005,
Bangkok, Thailand. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 3815, 411-415.
- Robert B. Allen and Yejun Wu, 2002. Generality of Texts,
Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Asian Digital Libraries: Digital Libraries
(ICADL 2002), Dec. 11-14, 2002, Singapore, Lecture Notes In Computer Science, Vol. 2555, 111-116.
Conference Papers (Unrefereed)
- Yejun Wu and Douglas W. Oard, 2007. NTCIR-6 at Maryland: Chinese Opinion Analysis Pilot Task.
The 6th NTCIR Workshop Meeting, May 15-18, 2007, Tokyo, Japan.
- Douglas Oard, Tamer Elsayed, Jianqiang Wang, Yejun Wu, Pengyi Zhang, Eileen Abels, Jimmy Lin, and
Dagobert Soergel, 2006. TREC-2006 at Maryland: Blog, Enterprise, Legal and QA Tracks.
TREC 2006. Gaithersburg, Maryland, November 14-17, 2006. PDF (Dr. Oard and I participated in the Blog Track.)
- Jimmy Lin, Eileen Abels, Dina Demner-Fushman, Douglas W. Oard, Philip Wu, and Yejun Wu, 2005.
A Menagerie of Tracks at Maryland: HARD, Enterpise, QA, and Genomics, Oh My!
(Authors listed alphabetically with the exception of the first author.)
TREC 2005. Gaithersburg, Maryland, 11, 2005. PDF (Dr. Oard and I participated in the Enterprise Track.)
- Yejun Wu and Douglas W. Oard, 2007. Computing the Sentiment Polarity of Chinese Words and Sentences.
Technical Report, LAMP-TR-143, CS-TR-4871, UMIACS-TR-2007-24. May 2007. Institute for Advanced Computer Studies,
University of Maryland, College Park.
How to Do Great Research - Creativity and grad school survival advice from Professor Nick Feamster
FinishLine - Tips, tools and techniques for completing a thesis or dissertation
Grants opportunities (or grants
courtesy to Miriam Matteson)
Technology as Art - Taking yourself too seriously is the
greatest of all obstacles to intellectual growth
The Role of The PHD in A Professional Field
What They Didn't Teach You in Graduate School (for a faculty career)
The secret lives of professors
Information Science theories
Bates' Information Science Bibliography
Creativity and Intrinsic Interest Diminish if Task is Done for Gain
A Brief, Incomplete, and Mostly Wrong History
of Programming Languages
Email Reading Guide
UC Berkley Enron Analysis